[pct-l] Permit needed to climb Whitney from the PCT?

Ed Gilroy egilroy at comcast.net
Fri Jan 12 07:50:29 CST 2007

The distance and time would appear to be too short to qualify for a
thru-hikers permit from the PCTA. You will need what they refer to as a
"Trail Crest Exit Permit". There is a separate daily quota for persons that
enter the Whitney zone from the west side and intend to exit via Whitney
Portal. I think it is 25 or 30 persons per day. I have used this system
several times when entering from Cottonwood Pass and exiting out via Whitney
Portal. Reservations can be made 6 months in advance and they don't seem too
hung up on you being late a day or so if you get hung up in the backcountry.
I exited one day late two years back, had my permit checked on the way out
and not a thing was said, just have a good day.

Ed