[pct-l] Solar Charging your iPod, etc

c.engberg at cox.net c.engberg at cox.net
Fri Jan 12 03:18:14 CST 2007

I was curious about slow's experiences with the Solio
Universal Hybrid Solar Charger. I have never used a solar
charger while hiking but after looking at the specs on the Solio
website, I am rather disappointed. On the Solio website they
give a solar panel output of 155 mA @ 6V. This gives a power
output of a measly 0.93 W. The one thing I am not sure of is if
you can actually run a fully dead GPS unit off this low of
power?

Solio Specs:
$99
0.93 Watt output
5.6 ounces
15.28 cu. in.

After some research I think I may have found another solution.
Powerfilm, Inc developed folding flexible solar chargers for the
military, which are now available to the general public.

Here: http://store.sundancesolar.com/po5wafosobac.html

F15-300 Specs:
$149
4.62 Watt output
6.08 ounces
18.56 cu. in.

Th 10W version weighs only three more ounces! This would
allow a group to charge all their devices at the same time.

It lacks the internal battery (this is really an additional
inefficiency) but makes up for it with 5 times the power output
and flexible, weatherproof design. Simply unfold and use. I
was thinking of getting one for my next extended trip and
simply draping in over the top or side of my pack as I hike. Has
any one used this in the field? Any opinions?

your fellow hiker,
-Chris
c.engberg at cox.net