[pct-l] Permit needed to climb Whitney from the PCT?

Roger Carpenter rogercarpenter at comcast.net
Fri Jan 12 00:34:02 CST 2007

Does anyone know if I need a permit to climb Mt. Whitney if I hike in from
the west side along the PCT? I know the permits are required for climbers
starting from Whitney Portal.  I'm planning to start at Kennedy Meadows in
late June and hike up to the summit of Whitney, then out via Whitney Portal.
On my thru hike in 1996 I skipped the Mt Whitney climb, so this year I will
return to the Sierras for the first time in eleven years to catch the view
from the summit!  My only issue with getting a permit for a specific day is
that I might not know how long it will take to hike the 60 miles from KM to
Crabtree Meadows.  In '96 I did it in about 3 days.  Probably 4 days at
least this year.
Roger Carpenter