[pct-l] Guide Book Gouging

Slow Comfort slow.comfort at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 22:17:15 CST 2007

Hooray for the champions of the PCTA.  Let me reiterate what has
already been said.  Consider that it may not be gouging at all.
Amazon of course is a huge retail concern.  They can purchase by the
trainload, and sell them just above cost to drown the competition.
And while they might only make a nominal profit on each item, the
sheer numbers of sales they make reaps them huge profits.  The PCTA
can't compete with that.  For myself, I may chisel a used car dealer
for a better deal, but I'm a believer in what the PCTA is doing and I
choose to trust them.  I could easily have bought the books from
Amazon but chose not to.  Us hikers have a good saying, hyoh means a
lot more than just going for a walk in the woods.

Slow