[pct-l] Snow gear for lightweight backpacking?

Jeffrey Wilzbacher jeffwilzbacher at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 10 18:08:25 CST 2007

I have seen that many hikers bring crampons and ice axes on the PCT. I've seen pictures of the snow fields, but still don't have a clear concept of what snow/ice conditions are likely or potentially to be encountered on the trail. Would you consider these (axes, crampons) required equipment or more for added safety/security? Any thoughts on this, stories from those who are more familiar with the trail would be greatly appreciated.

  Also, I'm planning to wear tennis shoes most of the way / all the way. I'm curious as to how other tennis shoe wearers dealt with snowy conditions.

  Thanks for all of your posts.

  Jeff Wilzbacher

  Message: 6