[pct-l] Suggestions on considering the use of hiking poles

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Jan 9 20:08:20 CST 2007

I'll echo what some others have stated on the advantages of using adjustable trekking poles vs. ski poles.  The spring action of the trekking poles absorb a great deal of shock on the down hill -- a big advantage if you have a bum knee.  Also, being able to shorten the poles allows them to be used in lieu of an ice axe when going over snowy passes, and they're a literal lifesaver when going through the deep, swift fords.

Another advantage of using poles that no one has mentioned is that they keep your hands from swelling; I find that when I hike without them, my hands become somewhat engorged with blood (gravity, I guess), and I have to keep lifting them up above my head periodically to make the swelling go down.  When I use the poles, I have no such problems.

The poles not only take some of the brundt of the pounding off your legs, but they also work your upper body, which tends to atrophe.  I used them as much pulling on steep uphills as I did on the downhills, and my arms and upper body got a much needed workout too.

Another (personally untested and previously unmentioned) use of poles is that of a readily available defensive weapon.

Needless to say, I'd choose trekking poles over ski poles any day . . . they're worth every cent.

L-Rod