[pct-l] Books on the Trail Question

arm chair armchairhiker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 22:08:19 CST 2007

Hi Switchback,

If you get the IPod, check out the Solio Solar battery it comes with an IPod
cable.

The device contains a lithium battery so you can recharge the IPod anytime.
It also fans out 3 solar panels! It charges it's own battery AND the IPod
battery from the sun.

Solio.com

http://www.solio.com/v2/users-gallery/gallery.html is the users photo
gallery. check out the Polar Challange '05 North Pole picture. The solio is
used all around the world.

When you find a good source (free) audio books - post it so we can all
listen!

Here is one place to start

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/19574

these are human read (a person reads the story into a recorder) and ebook
format public domain books.

If you expand your device functionality to ebooks - try

http://www.baen.com/library/

for free ebooks.

Some IPod alternatives allow you to RECORD the FM radio station, great way
to capture the weather or a broadcast of something special to listen to
later on the trail. Also the record capability can extend to recording your
voice (so you can dictate notes on how to lightup your pack base weight?)

The wireless bluetooth GPS receiver option is also very nice. Requires a PDA
to view topos and GPS info.

Hope the above is of interest,

armchair