[pct-l] Water filters/purification

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 4 19:16:31 CST 2007

Pieces wrote:

Anyway, without going into the need for
purification which has been debated ad nauseum here, a pump is not
necessary if you carry chemicals.

This is a very individual decision and there will be many points of view.

I live in Seattle and I rarely treat water in the Cascades anymore as long as I'm comfortable with the source (i.e. I'm reasonably certain there's no significant human presence upstream from where I am).  I do still use Aqua Mira to treat stagnant water and water from lakes and lowland streams where there are campgrounds.  I almost never carry a filter.

On the other hand, there are some water sources (largely in Southern California but a few up north as well) where the water is so nasty that I'd _really_ want to filter it, and maybe use chemicals for good measure, too, before I'd drink it.  But then I guess I'm fairly squeamish about such things.

If you decide to rely on chemicals for some or all of a thru-hike, you need to consider the health effects of long-term exposure to whatever it is that you're using.  Iodine or household bleach might not be the best choices for five straight months, though some people do use them.  Chlorine dioxide (contained in Aqua Mira and other brands) appears to be less hazardous overall and is a more effective disinfectant as well.

Eric