[pct-l] Stoves? Efficiency?

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Sat Feb 24 15:08:17 CST 2007

I 've seen a lot mentioned about the alcohol stove and
was wondering which one you all have found works best.
I've made the 4 in 1 cat food stove and it seemed to
work well but was wondering if one model out performed
the rest?  I would love to hear suggestions!!!!
Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I prefer the laminar air flow stoves over the pressure "pepsi" style stoves.
Here's a few more stove type options on my stove website for those that want
to build their own soda can alcohol stove :
http://users.sisqtel.net/losthiker/pikastove/
Also, pot size, metal type, and shape makes a big difference in fuel
efficiency with any type of stove. This link from 1999 still stands as a
good source of test results between a tall-narrow pot, and a short-wide pot.
Simple and to the point, the tall- narrow pot can use 50% more fuel to boil
the same water. The fuel is the heaviest component of the stove system. Your
results may vary, but I prefer the shorter sided wide bottom style pots,
like the Evernews, and not the  tall sided SnowPeak style pots.
"""
"Although the Snow Peak Mini Solo cooking kettle is a little over one ounce
lighter than the Evernew .9-liter pot, it can't compete in terms of
efficiency. Any advantage in weight is negated by the additional fuel
requirement needed for the longer cook times. "-Charles Lindsey, tester.
http://www.backpacking.net/stoves-pots-comparison.html
~^~
More online stove info:
http://www.kzpg.com/Backpacking/Stove/Stoves.htm