[pct-l] Stove fuel

The Mountain Goat themtgoat at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 03:42:56 CST 2007

These are great Questions.
1. I used alcohol even in the Sierra's.
Even in the High Sierras (Forester Pass to Muir Pass), I used the Pepsi
can stove, with alcohol, and it worked. I'm sure it did slow down in burning and
therefore took longer to cook, but it still worked. I also used Esbit tablets in some
cases, which may be a good alternate where you can't buy alcohol.

2. I think Yogi's book does a good job of telling you were it is available, and many other good pieces of information. Otherwise, try mailing yourself esbit
tablets, in those places that don't or may not have it. Most places did though.

3. I'm not clear on what may have changed on fire requirements since I did the
hike in 2005, I defer to our other large number of PCT staff on this list to help
you. I will say, if its windy and dry and hot (like near Cabazon) you might want to
refrain cooking anything, Restriction or not, notice the scorched land after the
pink motel. I made sure I had some food that  didn't need cooked for dinner just
in case.

Somebody else please chime in if you would, to fill in anything else about fires....

4a. Alcohol has about 1/2 the heat output (per ounce) as say, white gas,
therefore you need  twice as much. Normally I need about 1 oz white gas per
dinner. So 2 oz for  alcohol, YCMD (Your Cooking May Differ).

4b. The great thing about carrying alcohol is you can actually put it in a water
bottle (don't forget to mark it as alcohol!). I used a 8oz water bottle, that fit inside
my stove set. I could get (believe it or not) almost 10 oz of alcohol in it! That was
good for 5 days, YCMV (Your Cooking May Vary).

p.s. - I used ensure bottles (after cleaning them out) to mail the Alcohol)
they seemed to work good! But used a SBWC (Standard Bottled Water
Container) to carry it in in my pack.

Disclaimer:
Cooking can be dangerous. Be care full with any stove. Using a Pepsi can stove
is not for everyone. See you local forest ranger to see if a Pepsi can stove is
right for you. Don't drink the alcohol, you may want a cup of hot tea later.
Remember to buy the yellow bottle of Heat, the Pepsi can stoves think it tastes
better :-)

(sorry it was late at night and had to add a little humor to the email, but I think you'll find the information good).
-Mountain Goat-

Nathan Miller      erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
     Fri Feb 23 15:20:59 CST 2007
---------------------------------

I've pretty much decided on an alcohol stove for
backpacking.  ... I do have a question or two about them:

-I've read that alcohol doesn't burn well above
7000 ft.  How many of you have found this to be a
severe disadvantage as opposed to a mere
inconvenience or annoyance?

-I've read that denatured alcohol can be
difficult to find in some places.  I'm also aware
that mailing it might be a bit twitchy.  What
other fuels can one burn in an alcohol stove?  I
imagine anything liquid would work (at least in
theory, although I really wouldn't want to try
gasoline!).

-The PCT guide books mention in the introductions
to at least one section that fires are restricted
or prohibited.  Does this include stoves and
specifically alcohol stoves?

-How much does alcohol weigh (about the same as
water?)?  What kind of container does one use to
carry and/or mail it?

Nathan Miller
Newberg, OR