[pct-l] Digital Camera with powerful zoom option?

alden at thomasaquinas.edu alden at thomasaquinas.edu
Thu Feb 22 21:04:31 CST 2007

A few people have mentioned that the Canon a710 is a good choice, and I would
like to agree. I just purchased one a few weeks ago from Costco and it is what
I will be taking with me on the PCT.

I researched a number of different camera before I decided on this one. I had to
have it take AA's and it had to be at least 5MP or more. I wanted a flip screen
too, but that would have added on more weight I found, so I ended up decided on
the a710.

Good:
-2x AA last approx. 350 pictures.
-Image stabilzation is great, I can shoot at 1/5-1/10 sec. without a tripod and
have a sharp photo still (must be higher when zoomed in.
-Fast start up time for a digital. Less than 1.6 seconds between power on and
picture taken.
-6x optical zoom. For a little camera like this, its incredible.
-Full manual controls
-Fairly light (one of the lightest that takes AA's in my searching) at 210g.
-Controls are fairly accessible (no navigating through menus to change the
apperature or shutter, just push a button in manual mode, then move it up or
down)
-Great quality photos

Cons
-The user interface is not the most intuitive (although with a little learning
you can get it.)
-No raw format. Only possible format is jpg. I'm a little bummed about that
one.
-I'm freaked out about the plastic tri-pod mount. I know I'm going to strip the
threads in no time at all.

Check out a full review at
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a710-review/

If you have any questions about the a710 feel free to email me.

Also, http://www.dcresource.com is one of the best sites for reviews on almost
every name brand camera out there.

Oh ya, and never buy a camera from a online store based in New York. Lot of
rip-off places in Brooklyn that will make you wish you never found there
website (yellow bee is the one I almost bought from before I found that out)

God Bless,

Alden

http://www.aldendale.com/pct