[pct-l] French Speaking Hiker Help -- Other Advice Needed

Jim Keener jlkeener at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 22 14:16:49 CST 2007

Donna wrote:

> What DOES make the most sense to see and enjoy the
> Sierras this time of year, and under the current
> conditions without ice axe, snow shoes, etc.?

Well, as they say on West Wing, don't accept the
premise. There is a major storm system in the Sierra
as I type this. New powder. They can get to Yosemite
Valley by Amtrak train/bus combination from Los
Angeles and other cities. And from there to Badger
Pass. If they do not already cross country ski, they
can get lessons at Badger Pass (and equipment) and ski
out to Glacier Point. (See photograph at
http://electricpath.com/yosemite.html). The views
along the way match any in the world. IMHO. And winter
is the only time one can camp in the Wawona Grove - a
grove of Sequoia at the south entrance to Yosemite.
Snow shoe or cross country ski up hill for four miles
and camp in a most magic place. One afternoon when I
was there, the sun came out and began melting ice off
the sequoia. Diamonds all around. Chickadees swirling
in the sky.

Pictures from trips I just described:
http://electricpath.com/yosemite.html

It is so very fine that you are helping these young
women. What a treasure of experience you must be
building.

Best,
J J

http://electricpath.com