[pct-l] French Speaking Hiker Help -- Other Advice Needed

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Feb 22 13:44:37 CST 2007

To all who have emailed (or called) on this subject:

First thank you.  This is a wonderful community when help is needed, and I really appreciate being able to put a request out there for help and get so many great responses.  This list continues to be an incredible resource!

Second, the young women hikers, Lucy and Clarisse (could be Clarice), arrived late yesterday afternoon, and had already come to grips (sort of) with the fact that they can't go through the Sierras.  Thankfully, I didn't have to burst their bubble -- I think Todd up at North Fork ranger station had that honor.  Lucy's English is fairly robust, and she translates for Clarisse.  We're doing okay with communication.

They want to experience as much of the Sierras as they can without putting their lives in danger, so the focus of this message has shifted:

What DOES make the most sense to see and enjoy the Sierras this time of year, and under the current conditions without ice axe, snow shoes, etc.?  I was thinking that heading up 395, and trying to get in at the passes (such as Trail Pass, Kersarge, or Mammoth) would at least give them some kind of Sierra experience.  But then, that may not be feasible either.

L-Rod