[pct-l] We don't need no stinking guide book?

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Thu Feb 22 08:59:44 CST 2007

There are a few different software programs out there that are specifically
for using / mapping / GPS exchanging / etc. for outdoor recreation.  The two
most common are TOPO!, now owned by National Geographic www.topo.com and
Delorme Topo USA.

You can trace trails, make notes, print various sizes and scales, etc.  You
can dump your information (waypoints, points of interest) to a hand held
GPS.

Once you have a map layed out, you can save it by name as a file to recall
later.  This is also very nice because you can share these files with
others.  For example, someone just gave me an excellent file that has all of
So Cal traced, many very useful waypoints, and side trails marked.

I hope that helps.

BillB (YTNH)

  _____