[pct-l] Cookpot size/volume - large vs small

arm chair armchairhiker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 04:45:16 CST 2007

Hi Paul,

I too did an unscientific test with 2 canister stoves with large pots and 1
small pot. My purposes were not for thruhiking, just to see the speed of
boil and matching pot to burner / flame pattern.

http://picasaweb.google.com/armchairhiker/CompareToPackStovesMSRSuperFlyAndPrimusAlpineMicron?authkey=0oz_AKpl98c

I also found excellent result with the small burner pattern of the Primus
Micron and a Foster's beer can. The Foster's beer can has a convex bottom,
that give more surface area into the water. It also captures much of the
heat before it goes up the sides of the pot/can. Later I devised a reflector
just under the burner to direct reflective heat towards the pot/beer can and
away from the canister. By the way I really like the Micron, the ignition
system is along the burner tube rather than sticking out from the bottom, it
weighs 3.5 oz, and folds down much flater that the Snowpeak Gigapower. The
flames shoot straight up to make a concentrated hot spot, good for water
boiling, not so good for pancakes! The flame adjustor knob is smaller on the
Micron and doesn't have the 'folding' problem of the Giga Power.

http://www.snowpeak.com/gears/gs100a.htm

http://picasaweb.google.com/armchairhiker/CompareToPackStovesMSRSuperFlyAndPrimusAlpineMicron/photo?authkey=0oz_AKpl98c#5034300260573773298

Pot supports folded:
http://picasaweb.google.com/armchairhiker/CompareToPackStovesMSRSuperFlyAndPrimusAlpineMicron/photo?authkey=0oz_AKpl98c#5034299212601752834

Unfolded:
http://picasaweb.google.com/armchairhiker/CompareToPackStovesMSRSuperFlyAndPrimusAlpineMicron/photo?authkey=0oz_AKpl98c#5034299221191687442

Anyway, I like the wider pot but also I like less bulk with the narrow pot.

I also just received a Primus Multifuel stove, not to be confused with the
Primus Omnifuel stove (I was confused as to the differences at the Primus
web site). Please ask if anyone wants info about it.

Paul, back to the two stoves and pots you used, what are the bottom
diameters of the two pots and the diameters of the stoves?

Thanks,

-armchair

PS. Any one notice how quite the list is with Switchback on 'expedition' ?