[pct-l] Volunteers Needed for "Hiker Hut" project / Dinsmores / Skykomish, WA.

Jason Waicunas pct2005 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 20 14:44:35 CST 2007

Fellow hikers,

During the past few weeks, I've been talking with the Andrea and Jerry
Dinsmore about a project to construct a "hiker hut" on their property in
Skykomish, WA.  As some of you may know, they had numerous misfortunes occur
in 2006, which left their home and property in various states of disrepair.
As a result, they need a helping hand in getting things not only back to
normal, but to make things better than they were before.  The main objective
is to construct a "hiker hut" during the upcoming spring and summer so that
the PCT hikers have a place to stay that will be their own space, complete
with a sleeping area, TV, and internet service.  As many of you know, the
Dinsmores are trail angels that have gone out of their way to accommodate
hikers in the past.  With help from us all and others we may know, we can
help them carry on the tradition of the Dinsmore's place as a town stop for
PCT hikers in the future.  If you can, please help spread the word about
this.

Here is a recent email from Andrea that explains the situation in detail:

We were in the middle of satisfying the County permit office and having a
new drain field dug in the front yard when the riverside of our home caught
fire, (old electrical outlet failed), on March 23rd, 2006. That took out the
riverside both floors of the house including the deck and the roof. The rest
rest of the house was heavily smoke damaged and not livable. After that we
lived in the motor home on site so we could have some input into the
reconstruction. Late Aug/early Sept. the '06 hikers started arriving. We
stuck them where we could. No kitchen at that time so everyone went to the
local cafe. Back in the house in Sept but still living out of boxes. First
week in Nov the record floods hit our area along with wind storms. The river
came up to the top of our river wall and seeped into our new kitchen from
under the foundation. A couple weeks later we had record wind storms. Took
down hundreds of trees. Lost power for 9 days. Ran on a generator and
candles. Within a week or so after that the 3 feet of snow filled our yard.
The snow has just melted, the permit for the garage/hiker dorm is in hand
and the company will be delivering the building supplies on April 15th. We
will start tearing down the little garage about March 20th. We will need
help moving the stuff in the little garage out to storage sheds. Then the
garage needs to be disassembled and Jerry's son will haul it away. The yard
needs to be readied for the new building. There will be landscaping that
needs to be done. After the new building arrives the "big" part will be
erected with machines. After the wall supports, roof, barn door and second
floor joists are finished then we are responsible for the enclosing,
insulation, wiring, windows, small doors, interior finishing, second floor
finishing, building stairs to backyard and deck. And whatever else it takes.
We could use folks here off and on for a couple of months. We hare hoping to
to get some of this years' hikers before they hit the trail and some past
hikers that might have the time to come and spend a week or two. We have the
trailer, the motor home and the front room for them to crash in. I will be
trying to keep up with the cooking to keep everyone full of food. I don't
know what else to add. We will also be going to Trail Fest up here on March
23-34. Squatch will be here March 22. Mt Tripper is coming to stay mid March
until right before kick off.  I appreciate your support in all this. Ol'
Jerry wanted to do it by himself. He still thinks he's 20 years old.

Take care,
Andrea

To reach Jerry or Andrea Dinsmore, here is their contact information:

Phone: 360.677.1237
email:  zaqueltooocool at gmail.com
-OR-
email: andrea at skykomish-show-n-shine.com

Andrea Dinsmore
PO Box 374
Skykomish, WA. 98288

I hope everyone is doing well and that I see you at the 2007 Kick Off or in
the near future.

Take it easy,
Jason (Nabor J)