[pct-l] 7 day hike

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Mon Feb 19 22:16:36 CST 2007

jeff.singewald at comcast.net wrote:

>Denise,
>
>If you are looking to get a beautiful taste of the PCT, I might suggest the South Lake to North Lake Loop out of Bishop.  From South Lake you would head up and over Bishop Pass and encounter the PCT in LeConte Canyon just a bit south of Muir Pass.  You can than head north on the PCT over Muir Pass and Evolution Basin.  You can try your hand at the infamous Evolution Creek ford and than head north to the Piute Pass trail junction.  From there you can head east up and over Piute Pass in the Humphrey Lakes basin which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful areas in the Sierra.  From North Lake you can hitch the 11 miles back to South Lake fi you do not have a shuttle.  The length is near 60 miles and you will see 3 beautiful High Sierra Passes and experience 25-30 miles of PCT tread.
>
>Elevator

We hiked this route in reverse, parking at Tyee Lake Trailhead, hiked
over Table Mountain to Lake Sabrina, road walked to North Lake, hiked
over Piute Pass to the Muir Trail, then over Bishop Pass to South Lake,
and road walked to Tyee Lake parking.  So we didn't need a shuttle.  We
did this with a bunch of llamas, so even tho this is a rough trail, the
llamas made it.  So it's a piece of cake for backpackers.  The
doing-without-a-shuttle part of the walk added one day to the hike.
Bear cans are required.
This is one of my favorite hikes ever.
Marion