[pct-l] 7 day hike

William Skaggs weskaggs at primate.ucdavis.edu
Mon Feb 19 16:01:16 CST 2007

Denise Kelly wrote:

> I want to hike for 7 days this summer.  I have never hiked the PCT.
> I live in Sacramento Ca.  What section of the trail would work best for a
> hike of this length.  Thanks

Yeah, well -- "7 days" could mean 30 miles or 150 miles, depending on
how strong a hiker you are.  But in any case there are plenty of
options.  The Desolation Wilderness stretch is pretty scenic, and
the access is hardly more than an hour from Sacramento -- Echo Summit
on Highway 50.  The most spectacular part, though, is the John Muir
Trail stretch, between Yosemite and Mount Whitney -- particularly the
part that goes through Kings Canyon.  There are lots of good ways to
spend 7 days in that neighborhood.

  -- Bill

Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu