[pct-l] combo ice-axe

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Sun Feb 18 01:31:40 CST 2007

Mountain Education has been using the Whippets on all our higher altitude
(JMT areas) winter and spring trips, whether on skis or snowshoes and have
found them to be well worth the investment.  Prior to the Whippet, Paul
Ramer made a better self-arrest grip for his poles that had broad, flat top
surfaces for pushing on poles behind you or simply sitting on.  When using
snowshoes, the Whippets work best.  Each student is encouraged to carry one
and a regular adjustable pole.  The Whippet is used in the up-hill hand and
changed on switchbacks on unstable snow.  The self-arrest point can be
removed, if desired.  Black Diamond makes quality products that we have come
to enjoy and trust.  They are maybe a little heavier but are durable and
will last for years to come.

A note of advice on ice axes:  be very wary of any ultra light axe whose
manufacturer will not stand behind it - like that titanium one that was at
last year's ADZ.

Mtnned

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com