[pct-l] Memorable Campspots, Castella to Seiad

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sat Feb 17 07:09:47 CST 2007

I'm late on this thread...  Many good locations given already by all, but I'll add my 2 cents...

You may note that a trail goes down from the PCT to Toad Lake and then back up to the PCT to the N,
but Porcupine Lake (before Toad L. if nobo) is definitely a much more pleasant and preferred spot to camp...

At Deadfall Lakes, one can go to the uppermost lakes, camp, then climb Mount Eddy (9025') for a
fantastic 360 degree view of the area, including Mt. Shasta (14162')...  And if you're a 'peak bagger',
Marble Mountain/Black Marble Mountain and Kings Castle are also very close to the trail...

At Paynes Lake, one can continue along the N side of the lake and climb up to more secluded Albert Lake...

There are a couple of nice spots around Shelly Meadows - near "Wilson Cabin"...

If you're into a little off-trail travel, from the 'newer' stretch of PCT that goes up thru the saddle above
Maneaten Lake, one can traverse S up around the cirque and cross over the ridge to the SW of the Maneaten saddle to Milne Lake...

About 1/4 mile before the Red Rock Valley trail junction, there is a trail that drops S to Cold Springs bench and a couple of camp spots with good views of the upper Wooley drainage from the bench...

>From the N side of Shadow Lake, be sure to explore the edge of the bench that Shadow is on...
good views of Sky Lakes Valley below from various locations...

A 'short' side loop, without losing any PCT miles, with some fair camping spots and fantastic views -
at 'Four Corners' (old local nickname), take the trail SW to Big Elk Lake (<2 miles), which has many
camp spots; next day continue on past Big Elk Lake (~1 1/4 miles?) and turn right at the Marble Rim
Trail...  After some short switchbacks then a traverse S, the trail turns NE and climbs to the crest (~1 mile? from junction) - one can have a beautiful view of the W side of Marble Mountain/Rim (see
http://tinyurl.com/3bm2jf, my son's photo)...  Continue to follow the Marble Rim Trail - it leaves the
crest , then heads downhill SE to 'Four Corners' ~1 1/2 miles?)...  Turn N to continue on the PCT...

A somewhat 'historical' campsite - that modest Deems didn't mention - Eric Ryback's camp site on
Big Ridge in the Marbles shown in Eric's book (http://users.sisqtel.net/losthiker/pikastove/eric.jpg),
and found/photographed by Deems (http://tinyurl.com/2p3gsu and http://tinyurl.com/2eypty) -
see if you can find it, too!

Keep in touch - not sure exactly when I will be in NorCal this summer, but maybe I'll see some of you
on the trail or give you a ride at Etna Summit...

Happy trails!!!
Jim Payne