[pct-l] alternate trails for the pct in Giant Sequia and Yosemite

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Tue Feb 13 08:05:12 CST 2007

I've known many PCTers who went to Yosemite Valley. From Tuolumne
Meadows it's a good full dayhike to Yosemite Valley on the John Muir
Trail. From there either a long hitch or catch a shuttle bus, although
I'm not sure of the bus hours - I'm sure you'd have to leave early to
get the bus back to Tuolumne.

Some PCTers do did this, as well as Mt. Whitney, so they will have hiked
the John Muir Trail as well as the PCT (although those two trails do
have separate parallel routes in some places, notably just north of Reds
Meadow).

As for the giant Sequoias, I can't think of an easy way. The best know
groves are in the west part of Sequoia National Park, about 50 trail
miles from the PCT. Perhaps actually backpack to Yosemite Valley,
staying in the backpacker campsite there one night, then take a bus to
the Mariposa Grove (near Wawona) and back, and then a second bus to
Tuolumne. Again, I don't know the bus schedules.

AsABat