[pct-l] Hiking in Rain Gear

fred sutton suttonski at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 15:24:52 CST 2007

"Does anybody know the average weather conditions in Washington in mid and
late September?

Warner Springs Monty"

As one of the web footed washington natives I can tell you the average is drizzle to rainy followed up with a partly chance of wetness. Where else but Washington will the weathermen give a percentage chance for sunshine in their forecasts? In a normal year we will have some rain for the labor day weekend, the weather gods laughing at us. Then once the schools open up we get a week or two of almost summerlike (65-70 degrees in the lowlands cooler in the mountains) weather. Again the weather gods laughing at us. Then the grey kicks in and you can pretty much count on rain until april or may. Temperatures at PCT elevations will more than likely be upper 20's to mid 30's at night, daytime will be mid 40's typically. Usually you won't see much if any snow this early in the year. However I hike year round up here and I have been snowed on in every calendar month at one time or another. So it is safe to say that by mid september you should plan on being moist, real moist.

Fred