[pct-l] Hiking in Rain Gear

Mark Jernigan footslogger03 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 13:04:40 CST 2007

Wasn't thinking of "going without"      ...just trying to decide which (of my many) types of rain jackets/gear make the most sense on the PCT.  Definitely will NOT be any of the laminate so-called waterproof/breathable stuff.  Most likely will end up being either my Packa, silnylon anorak or my FroggToggs.

  Thanks,

  'Slogger

Steel-Eye <chelin at teleport.com> wrote:
  Good afternoon, Footslogger

Going without rain gear in the Pacific Northwest is like going without a sun
hat in the desert or bug protection in the Sierras: You can if you want to,
but I won't.

I have one of Bill's rain outfits. If it's the one Meadow Ed refers to it
is called a Bigly Parcho, as in Par from parka and cho from poncho. This my
second rainy season with it in Oregon's west-slope Cascades, and I am very
pleased. Overall it is the best rain gear I've found and I intend to carry
it on the PCT this year from Cascade Locks north.

It is made of SilNylon, and mine weighs 8.8 oz. including its built-in stuff
sack. It fits over me and my pack sufficient that I don't use a separate
pack cover. It has a generous, adjustable hood, a zipper front, and two
large breast pockets inside the front. It extends down to approximately
knee level, and the arms are very loose, wide, and are open part of their
length on their bottom side. The top ends of the sleeves come to a point to
cover the top of the hand, and have a hand strap underneath to keep
everything in place while hiking with poles. With that hand cover
arrangement I can do without the SilNylon glove covers over my fleece or
wool gloves.

This arrangement ventilates almost as well as a big, floppy poncho, but is
much better in the wind. On my legs I wear homemade SilNylon chaps .. 1.9
oz/pair .. that cover from shoe top to the crotch of my shorts. They are
held up by a Velcro loop at the outside of each one. I like the chaps much
better than full pants, such as the FroggTogg pants, because they ventilate
in the open bottoms and out the open tops. I am not very fond of any hood
unless the wind is really heavy, so I usually fold the hood inside close
around my neck, then wear a broad-brimmed GoreTex hat. I've walked hundreds
of miles wearing that arrangement, plus GoreTex socks inside my sneakers.

A person will find condensation under any such garment: Parcho, FroggToggs,
poncho, GoreTex jacket .. anything .. but in my opinion the Parcho handles
it the best. With poly garments underneath the condensate seems to run down
the inside and be gone without soaking the poly, just making a little
surface dampness on the top of the shoulders and upper arms.

I use FroggToggs a lot, but the sleeve ends, the bottom of the jacket and
pants, and the top of the pants are aggressively elasticized so they do not
ventilate well. I have to loosen those up. FroggToggs are popular with
motorcycle riders, and for them the elastic closure is great to reduce
drafts, but I don't walk that fast.

I find GoreTex jackets are too heavy, and they breath only when I don't need
them to.

I use a SilNylon tarp/poncho quite a bit, but mostly for shelter. It does
make an effective poncho for occasional use, but I would not want to walk
very far wearing it.

Steel-Eye