[pct-l] Hiking in Rain Gear

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Feb 12 10:30:31 CST 2007

I heartily agree with Roger; carry good base and insulating layers (top and bottom) plus a dependable WP/B outer shell with a good hood. I got caught in a cold, wind-driven rain that was so bad it ran local hunters out of the woods at Harts Pass. I was hiking up-hill in a full Gortex suit and fleece jacket and still couldn't stay warm. Caught a ride out with one of the hunters. That storm lasted 4 days.

I'd carry rain pants as well for WA (I suggest GoLite Reed WP/B pants 4 oz). You might not need them but if you run into one of north WA's infamous storms, you'll be glad you've got them.

Maybe you'll get lucky and have clear skies, but September can be "iffy" the further north you go in WA.

Wandering Bob