[pct-l] [Fwd: CDT stories]

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Mon Feb 12 03:02:04 CST 2007

well i guess that forward didn't work, so i copied and pasted skittles'
email:

Hey All,

While I was hiking the CDT there was an article written on me by
American profile. A group of fifth-grade special education students in
Ola, Arkansas, read the article and followed my trail journal a bit and
as part of their class they wrote stories on the hike. They sent me
their stories and I had to share them with you as they brought a smile
to my face.

So here they are from Sherrilly Forrest's class (they are much better in
their own handwriting):

By Allen
"Trekking the Triple Crown"

The story is about a guy who hikes the trail and his name is Richard
Larson and his nickname is "Skittles." The tiple trails he started was
in Washington, Montana, and Maine. Then in 2004 he walked 2,650 miles.
In June during a few days of his 3,100 mile trek while he hiked along
the Continental Divide Trail he had to cross a precarious Snow bridge
over a turbulent stream in Glacier National Park in Montana.

If I had free time and had vacation I probaly would have went and hiked.
But my question is how he get there and did he see big animals? Like
bears, snakes, like king cobras, and deer? And how did he get home? But
I'm sure you had fun hiking. I like the story. It should have been run.

By Chris

Richard Larson travaled the Pacific Crest Trail, Continental Divide
Trail and Appalachian Trail. He ate noodles, Lipton sups, tortilla
wraps, Carnation instant drinks, power bars, crackers and chess and his
favorite snack is Skittles.

My opinion is he was smart to walk his own pace on the trail.

By Clay

There is this man named Larson and he hiked three big long tails. One is
continental divde trail. And it goes from Montana to new Mexico. He
stopped at hotels and got his mail and food. It was a five month trek.
The Pacific Crest Trail. It's close to the ocean. He had to put up with
Masquetos and big black flys. The Appalachian trail was the first trail
he had went on.  He looked off mountains and saw beutiful things. I
think it was a good idea because he got to see beautiful, beautiful
things. And got his self rutin a story.

By Phillip

Richard Larson was a person who hiked the Triple Crown. Richard Larson
hiked about 20 miles each day. He hiked the 2,175 mile Appalachian Trail
in 2004, the 2,650 mile Pacific Coast Trail in 2005. In 2006 Richard
Larson hiked the 3,100 mile Continental Divide Trail. Richard Larson
loved to hike and see the splendor of hiking in America. He fough off
mosquitoes and black flies, enduring blistered feet, spring rainstorms,
and sweltering summer heat. He got his food from an airplane that
delivered it to him.

He went through a lot of painful stuff. It has to be fun traveling. You
would lose a lot of weight whenever you hike.

Hope you enjoy the stories as much as I did,

Skittles