[pct-l] extra clothing (bears)

William Skaggs weskaggs at primate.ucdavis.edu
Sun Feb 11 11:04:57 CST 2007

Antonio wrote:

> A lot of people have been giving me advice about
> avoiding bears (e.g., packing food in separate containers camping away
> from aromatic items, etc.) but I had a thought- in the colder parts of
> the trail, how do you cook food in your gear, leave your coat/whatever
> with your food, and hike half a kilometer or so back to your tent???
> does one just have to suck it up and carry extra clothing, or what
> should be done about this?

In the High Sierra, it is required to carry some sort of approved
bear-proof container.  Ideally you should do your cooking some distance
from your tent, and leave the food overnight some distance from both,
but in practice, as far as I can tell, most people cook at their campsites
and leave the food 50-100 ft away.  You probably don't need to worry
about the clothes you cook in unless you are in the habit of spilling
large quantities of food on them.  The main things are to leave
your dishes out in the open, and leave your pack unzipped so that
a bear can investigate it without destroying it.

  -- Bill

Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu