[pct-l] Lt. Columbo style Yogi

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 16:02:47 CST 2007

Squatch wrote:
> Stogie, trenchcoat and a glass eye?

Lisa just asked where the closest town was or which town was closer
(according to this guy).

What's a Lieutenant Columbo?  It's an "I don't get it."
Columbo would get what he wanted by playing dumb and asking questions.
A Lieutenant Columbo starts out with an "I don't quite get it.  Can you
figure out how......?"  or "Do you know where I could find a..............?"
"You know what really puzzles me?  How that monkey could open that heavy
window from the outside, grab the murder weapon,  then leave by the same
window, but the maid said the window was latched from the inside?"  or "Do
you know how many miles I'd have to walk to the nearest town or where there
is one?"

This isn't what happened but it works like this:

"Do you know that TV detective show............ Lieutenant Columbus?
Lieutenant Columnrow?"

"Oh, you mean Lieutenant Columbo."

"That's it.  I never can remember that name.  Have you ever seen it?"

"Yes."

"It's on tonight and I have to get off the trail to watch it.  Do you know a
place I can walk to from here and find a TV?"

"We have one right here.  You're welcome to watch it."

"I couldn't come in your home smelling like this?  I haven't had a shower in
four days.  Do you know where I could find a place to take a shower and do
my laundry first?"

"You can use our shower and do your laundry here."

"You sure?  Can I set up my stove somewhere in your yard and cook my dinner
too?"

Probably gets dessert too.  I'm sure some or the trail angels on this list
recognize it too well.
(Of course not from me.)

Warner Springs Monty