[pct-l] Umbrella Holders and New Light Gear and Sleeping Under the Stars

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Thu Feb 8 18:13:17 CST 2007

Switchback, the Trail Pirate, wrote:
>One: For a handsfree umbrella holder instructions go to PostHoler.com and my forum, Switchback
>Unchained.  It weighs less than one ounce plus a few Velcro straps to attach it to the pack shoulder
>strap.
>Two: Some of you are talking about light bivy sacks that are now obsolete.  Go to
>MountainLaurelDesigns.com.  It will blow your mind the new standards in gear weights.  Lots of
>cool pictures with more products soon to be released.  I think their lightest bivy is just over 3 ounces.
>Three: I would like to be a brave hiker and sleep cowboy style on the trail.  But I like a nice bug
>free, clean and organized shelter.  In other words, I want my bug netting and bath tub floor all
>around me for my security blanket.  I feel safer out there that way.  You do not want to scare you
>pal, Switchback, with too robust camping do you?

One:  I'm not an umbrella user, but I'm definitely tempted to try it out with your 'handsfree' set up...

Two:  Definitely not obsolete.  In fact Equinox may have been ahead of their time (or the other
vendors, at least)...  The Equinox UL Bivy is 6.5 oz., $60 - has a left hand 27" zipper for easier
entry/exit...  Ron Bell (MLD) does make great gear, no doubt about it - but his lightest bivy on the
website currently is 4.2 oz. (LiteSoul Bivy, $195); he also now offers a side-zip bivy weighing 7.1 oz.
(Soul Bivy Side Zip, $225)...  Bozeman Mountain Works (via BPL) also now offers a side zip bivy at
7.0 oz. w/o mosquito netting, 7.9 oz. with netting ($230)...  The Equinox UL Bivy doesn't have mosquito netting, but one usually has at least a headnet with them if it's 'skeeter season'...  Yes, there are lighter bivy bags out there, but not at $60 (and usually on sale twice a year at $50)!  The Equinox
does what I need it to do - and I can buy 3 or 4 for the price of the others since I don't have a pirate's
treasure chest buried in my back yard to borrow from and justify that kind of expense for saving an
ounce or two...  ;-)  One could save even more $$ by just using an oversized groundcloth, such as
Tyvek, and fold it over the top of the sleeping bag - but you have to fight the wind more plus put up
with being called various names relating to the state of your mental health...  ;-) ;-)

Three:  "security blanket" - Switchback, the Linus-Hearted??  No, definitely not trying to scare you,
but you didn't sound very piratey with number three though, matey...  : )

Everybody's right and nobody's wrong...  Just get out there and do it!
HYOH (however you may want to interpret it!), YMMV, YGWV (your gear will vary), etc. ...

Happy trails!!!