[pct-l] Angeles Crest Highway 2

AsABat asabat at cox.net
Thu Feb 8 14:35:08 CST 2007

Found this on Wikipedia. I'm starting to wonder if it will meet the same fate as Highway 39 (at Islip Saddle), which has been "temporarily" closed since 1978.

AsABat

'The Angeles Crest Highway is normally closed in the wintertime from Islip Saddle to Vincent Gap due to rockfall and avalanche hazards. However, the winter storms of 2004-05 caused several landslides and significant damage to the highway. Thus, the highway never reopened summer of 2005. Damage to the highway was estimated to be over 4 million dollars as of November 2005. Terri Kasinga, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Transportation, stated in November 2005 "It is definitely not going to open until next spring (of 2006)".[1] However, a March 2006 storm caused even more extensive damage to the highway including a complete washout of a large section of roadway, further delaying the reopening of the highway. Total construction costs now exceed 10 million dollars. Pending the availability of construction funds to repair this new damage, construction is anticipated to begin spring of 2008. As of now this portion of the highway has been closed since October 2004.[1] The closure of the highway has caused concern for the California Department of Forestry because it hinders firefighting.[2]"