[pct-l] PCTA Trail Fest, Seattle, March 23-25

yogi yogihikes at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 6 18:46:25 CST 2007

Christine - The original post was not intended to get
into a discussion about all the specifics of the PCTA
and what they do, blah, blah, blah.

Based upon what I see on the PCTA Trail Fest page, I
disagree with your whole point about needing to have a
place that has both sleeping rooms and meeting
facilities.  It *appears* that the events are at the
Mountaineers Building, and the lodging is at the
Hilton.  It *appears* that these are separate
businesses.  I could be wrong.

Granted, $139-$159 is way cheaper than the Hilton rack
rate.  But it's still more than I would ever pay for a
hotel *anywhere*.  When I attend trail events, I spend
all my waking hours visiting with trail friends.  $139
is pretty steep for 7 hours in a bed.

BTW, I've voiced my opinion about the Trail Fest
lodging situation to PCTA representatives for the last
three years.  If the PCTA wants to attract actual
hikers to Trail Fest, some sort of reasonable lodging
arrangements should be offered.

If I remember correctly, in 2005, the "special" PCT
rate at the hotel was ~$110.  Um, that's not much of a
special rate for a hiker budget.  I stayed with Ron
Moak's wife instead.  In 2006, I did not attend Trail
Fest -- it was held at an historic location in SoCal
(Riverside?).  Again, the lodging was crazy expensive,
even with the "special" PCTA rate.  Now it's 2007, and
the Trail Fest lodging is $139-$159.

The web search I did showed many motels within a 1
mile radius of the Hilton.  It's been a few years
since I've been in downtown Seattle, but the motels I
found are not in "seedy" locations (if my memory is
correct -- but I'm getting old, so I could be wrong).

I hadn't planned on attending this year's Trail Fest
(due to financial reasons), but when they asked if I
would do a joint presentation with Ben Schifrin, I
couldn't say no to that!!  What an honor!

Again, I'm not getting into all the good the PCTA
does, because I *do* think it's an important
organization.  My original post simply offered a more
reasonable lodging alternative.

And that is all.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com