[pct-l] Bear Canister or Ursack

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri Feb 2 13:58:35 CST 2007

I should have added that I used the vapor barrier bags available at the Ursack website in conjunction with not just my food inside the bear cannister, but I also put my cookpot, utensils, trash, and toiletries -- anything that has any kind of scent -- into these reputedly odor proof bags.  Even if I used my Garcia or Bearikade rather than the Ursack, I would still use the vapor barrier bags, for the reasons you mention below.  Knowing that bears break into cars to get toothpaste because of the scent, I conscientiously try to eliminate smells or at least minimize them.

The vapor barrier bags are great, but they weren't constructed for the ongoing rigors of thru-hiking, and they tore a fair amount.  I kept extras in my pack and in my resupply box.  Using them was part of the overall system for avoiding bear-encounters:

-     carry a bear cannister in bear country (regardless of regulatory requirements)
-     avoid heavily used campsites when possible
-     don't cook where you sleep before you sleep there
-     keep the odors to a minimum by using vapor barrier bags

I don't do this because of fear for my own safety, I do this because I consdier that the life that is saved through these efforts will be the bear's.

L-Rod