[pct-l] Tehachapi/Mojave question.

The Mountain Goat themtgoat at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 00:26:11 CST 2007

I have started some research on resupply towns. I hope to make a video / on
how to / resupply strategies. Anway:

I went to Mojave to resupply in 2005. I liked Mojave because it was a 13
mile hitch (The whites motel is said to pick people up, but I found it quicker to
hitch in).

The town (Mojave) is fairly compact and from your hotel the USPS is only a few
blocks away, and the there are a half dozen hotels.

The Supermarket is less than a mile I think, and generally you can get the mailing
done, Eat and get food and Internet at the Library. All within 1 mile.

When I went to Tehachapi, everything is so spread out. You would continually
have to get a hitch to taxi to get around. It had I think a K-mart, Wall Greens, and
what not. But the distance to everything was a lot more walking.

What are your opinions? why would you want to go to Tehachapi over Mojave?
or do you prefer Mojave as I did?

For that Matter, anyone got a better Idea on resupplying, rather than having to hitch to Tehachapi/Mojave? Yes. I know you could do it at Hiker Town, but that would make it a really long section to Walker Pass or Kennedy Meadows.

-Mountain Goat-
PCT 2005