[pct-l] Pocketmail and cell phones

Dirk Rabdau dirk9827 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 00:57:03 CST 2007

I can't say I've had much luck with the cell phones in the backcountry of Washington state. Pesky mountains get in the way along the Cascades with a few exceptions. In the Olympics, the coverage is far worse. Along the PCT? Hmm. I guess near Mt. Rainier you can get a signal, but it is spotty. Having never done any of the PCT south of Washington (a thru hike is in my future), I would like to hear more about your experiences with cell phones.

I honestly eschew most tech gizmos while hiking - but then again, I haven't spent the better part of four months hiking non-stop. I have used many mobile devices for work, and the Blackberry, Sidekick and other slide-out keyboards never seem that efficient. I can type fairly quickly with a regular keyboard, on a Blackberry messaging is painfully slow. If I were trying to keep a journal, the last thing I would use is a micro keyboard device - whether that be a blackberry, sidekick or the pocketmail composer.  I have played around with an old palm pilot and a foldable keyboard. It works well enough. I am eager to hear what others use while on the trail, for both journals and email. I suppose I could keep a journal by hand, but my handwriting is so cryptic I have a hard time deciphering my own writing.

Dirk