[pct-l] Water caches

virgil virgil at baloney.com
Mon Dec 31 00:10:16 CST 2007

On Sunday 30 December 2007 7:49:53 jeff.singewald at comcast.net wrote:
> It is obvious there is a wide range of positions re: water caches, but I am
> curious about the history of these organized water caches.  So a question
> or two for the old time thru-hikers (Stryder, Monte Dodge and others).
> When did these organized water caches begin to be common place along the
> PCT?  How in the world did you guys/gals make it to Canada without these
> water caches?   For those that hike the trail before these water caches
> became common place, would you prefer to have had the luxury of these
> caches?

When I first hiked the SoCal PCT back in '96, the only cache I remember was a
small one at Scissor's Crossing and another at the Pink Motel.  But that was
before the years of drought, and it seemed like more of the springs and
creeks could be relied upon later into the spring.  When I hiked it again
in '03, I was surprised by the first the lucky 7 and then all the other
caches I encountered.  It certainly makes the hike easier and more
accessable.  But then, so does the tank at Pioneer Mail, the various fire
truck tanks, the water fountain at Snow Creek, etc....

--
"I came into this game for adventure - go anywhere, travel light, get in, get
out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

Robert De Niro as Harry Tuttle in Brazil.