[pct-l] Hiking Poles

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Dec 30 09:21:02 CST 2007

The secret to using a hiking pole is using the wrist strap correctly.   As
you hike along the trail you will notice many hikers using their poles
incorrectly.  The wrist strap is what provides most of the assistance  and not the
grip.

1.  Look for a pole that has a great wrist strap.
2.  The pole length should be adjusted so your fore arms  are level/parallel
with the ground.  Some guides say to adjust the  pole length depending on
going up or down the trail.  I do not do  that.  Too much of a hassle.  I put a
couple of wraps of Duct tape  around the poles just under the adjustable lock
points, so they will not come  loose and slide down the pole.  Simple.  You
should check the  locks periodically too.
3.  Slide your hand up the pole shaft through the wrist strap and grab  the
pole grip.
4.  Now adjust the wrist strap so it is taunt, but not tight.   You usually
only have to do this once.

Some other things about poles:
1.  I put my extra Duct tape around the poles about 3 inches under the  grips.
2.  I also put some Duct tape around the poles above the tips.   This is the
area where poles take a beating along the trail.
3.  I use the small snow basket on my poles.  This helps to keep  them
sliding between rocks and limbs and getting momentary stuck.  Snapping  a pole is
not good.
4,  Also, I use some reflective tape around the pole immediate under  the
grips.  This adds some safety protection when you are near roads.

All the modifications for my poles mentioned above only cost a fraction of
an ounce for each pole.  Well worth it.

I use the REI Carbon Light poles.  Here are some pole sites that are
interesting.

1.  Pole selection = REI.com and item number 750835.
2.  PacerPoles = _www.pacerpole.com/shaping-the-future.html_
(http://www.pacerpole.com/shaping-the-future.html)
3.  Pole info = _www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm_
(http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm)
4.  Silva Ex-Pole Plus = _www.silva.se_ (http://www.silva.se) .  You might
consider the Pole  Mate II for its features.

Your pal, RustyKnees aka Switchback's nice twin  brother.