[pct-l] walking poles

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Sun Dec 30 00:48:55 CST 2007

I have a pair of Leki titanium adjustable hiking poles and I usually use
them when out hiking. I haven't done any l-o-n-g backpacks with them but
have done a few shorter ones as well as day hikes.
Reasons I like them:
* assist my balance and reduce sprains, strains, and falls.
* enables me to walk faster particularly downhill and on trail with loose
rocks, gravel.
* provide stability on difficult terrain such as crossing narrow gullies
(down one side and up the other) and going off the trail.
* probe into the ground cover ahead to determine footing.
* can use them to improve my balance walking across narrow logs or stepping
stones.
* a couple of times I used them to brace my backpack so I could use it as a
backrest (minor point)

My Lekis have wrist straps like a portion of a glove so I am pushing down
on the edge of my hand instead of on my grip. This is similar to the way
one uses ski poles in skiing. Also these have quick-release / safety
release attachment to the pole so are easy to detach for a few minutes.
Also the handles are canted (15 degrees (?)) to give a more ergonomic grip
which reduces strain on my wrists.

Mine are not "shock absorbing" nor do I want this. Instead of use a swing
and plant which eliminates the shock in most use. When I plant, I want the
pole to transmit the plant to help me retain my balance.

My $.02.  As others suggest, buy or borrow a pair and try them on a hike
preferable with some difficult trail.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>