[pct-l] walking poles

cvano at tmail.com cvano at tmail.com
Sat Dec 29 22:07:13 CST 2007

I like mine 'most' of the time.  There are times though when they are a
problem, like when you have to use your hands for scrambling or
something like a snack or a look at the map, or you just get tired of
them.  I stick them through a shoulder strap like a sword.  To get the
ice axe, I have to take off the pack anyway, so I strap them on then and
just use the ice axe.  Unless you have 3 or 4 hands.....  I use them
with my Tarptent or to stake out other parts of other tents as needed.
Personally, I'd rather have them than not.  C

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 7:41 pm, Steve Fosdick wrote:
> I can see that opinions on water caches are as wide as an ocean. Thanks
> for all the comments.
>
> Now, my next big dilemma is whether or not to carry walking poles. In a
> lot of photos in journals, I see many hikers using them. I rarely use a
> walking stick of any kind. Here in Oregon, if I really feel the urge to
> use one, there are always plenty of tree limbs lying around that will
> do the job just fine. However, I find that I soon tire of carrying it,
> so I toss it far off the side of the trail as though it had just blown
> down like all the other tree limbs lying around. I'm sure there won't
> be a lot of poles lying around on the So. California stretches of the
> PCT, so if I want them, I'll need to bring my own along.
>
> Will I be the only hiker on the trail without walking poles? Other than
> using them to flick off a rattle snake, hold up a tarp-tent (my tent
> has its own poles) or defending myself from a charging bear (yeah,
> right!), will I wish that had some on my thru-hike? I'll have an ice ax
> for the parts of the trail that have snow. When hikers get out their
> ice ax, do they put their walking poles away?
>
> I understand that ski poles are not the same as hiking poles. And Keen
> Fit Poles are NOT hiking poles, according the Keen Fit website! (That
> was really funny. I followed the link "Hiking Poles" to the Keen
> Fit site, and one of the first things on their video was "These are NOT
> hiking poles!")
>
> I hope this topic is not as controversial as water caches! But I would
> like to hear some advice from experts out there.
>
> Hikin_steve

> Search.
It's not the Mountain that we conquer,
but Ourselves.  Anon.