[pct-l] Water Caches

Postholer public at postholer.com
Sat Dec 29 20:07:56 CST 2007

> But, IIRC, the Fobes cache was located a bit down the side
> trail to minimize the visual impact to the PCT. Maybe this would
> be a nice compromise between those who cache and use caches
> and those who would rather not see them (instead seeing just a
> small sign pointing to "water").

Personally, I think that is an excellent compromise.

Keep the caches a half mile or more off the trail. It shouldn't be
'convenient' to get to an emergency water supply. Keeping them off trail
discourages casual use of the cache and encourages folks to maybe, just
maybe depend on themselves...it's a *good* thing for everyone involved. Off
trail should also reduce the size of the cache. Given distance and size,
stocking becomes less of an issue for maintainers.

Publicly giving cache status and location is a HUGE means of promoting their
use and encourages hikers to plan on them. This practice should be
eliminated completely by all that give this info out. If you get cache
reports, make them privately available to the maintainers.

-postholer