[pct-l] Water Caches

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Sat Dec 29 18:06:30 CST 2007

Scott,
Well, I don't always agree with you but I do agree that there is a certain percentage of hikers that will take the easiest path when it comes to water and the use of caches.  A good example of this in 2006 was in the Desert Divide on the stretch between Pines to Palm Highway and Saddle Junction.  There are several off-trail springs up along the divide including one, Cedar Springs, that is one of the best springs along the trail.  However, the spring is 450 feet downhill and about 3/4 mile off trail.  Just 2.7 miles past this junction to Cedar Springs, someone has decided to maintain the Fobbes Saddle cache.

While I chose not to use water caches in SoCal in 2006, I usually stopped to read the journals and based on the notes I saw in the water cache journal, quite a number of thirsty hikers stopped by and were very greatful that water was provided at the cache as they had chosen not to go off trail for water.

So, while many people on this list continue to stress that caches should not be relied upon, year after year, more and more hikers seem to rely on them rather than carry sufficient water to bridge the gaps or go off-trail to the noted water sources.  I'm sure that there are many reasons why people make these choices and as long as the cache maintainers continue to stock the caches, the hikers will become more and more reliant on them in my opinion.

But again, this is a case of HYOH, and each person will decide for themselves and the cache maintainers are simply providing an additional option.

Elevator

From: "Postholer" <public at postholer.com>