[pct-l] [PCT2008] water in the desert

Allan Fein iamhikeral at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 10:32:52 CST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: adrian korosec <adriankorosec at yahoo.com>
To: PCT2008 at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 8:25:05 AM
Subject: Re: [PCT2008] water in the desert

At first I thought this was kinda funny.  However, after some thought, I concur.

It's best anyway to stop for dinner at the water source, tank up, clean your pot (away from the water), and hike a bit further into a dry section ahead and camp.

The desert is such a tough place and the things that can live there so special.  I'll cut em a break anytime if it's in my power to.

peace to the desert dwellers!!!

Allan Fein <iamhikeral at yahoo. com> wrote:
If while camping out here in the desert you could please camp a little farther away from our water source (speaking for the animals) we wouldn't be afraid to go get a drink.

http://www.lnt. org/programs/ principles_ 6.php
Allow animals free access to water sources by giving them the buffer space they need to feel secure. Ideally, camps should be located 200 feet or more from existing water sources. This will minimize disturbance to wildlife and ensure that animals have access to their precious drinking water. By avoiding water holes at night, you will be less likely to frighten animals because desert dwellers are usually most active after dark. With limited water in arid lands, desert travelers must strive to reduce their impact on the animals struggling for survival.

Washing and human waste disposal must be done carefully so the environment is not polluted, and animals and aquatic life are not injured. Swimming in likes or streams is OK in most instances but in desert areas, leave scarce water holes undisturbed and unpolluted so animals may drink from them.