[pct-l] Newbie Question WRT N-to-S Thru-Hike

fdumville at earthlink.net fdumville at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 18 21:32:13 CST 2007

Thumper,

Ginny pretty much covered the snow issues. You should check out their website.

Andrea listed very early arrival dates in 2005. That was a very low snow year, I started south on July 4th that year and encountered very little snow. Most years would be much different. www.postholer.com has good snow depth info.

As a long section hiker I have started southbound, hiked alone in the shoulder season, and started north with the thru-hikers. I've enjoyed the different experiences. How you feel about the solitude versus community experience is something you should think about while planning your trip.

I also live in San Diego. I found it convenient to start my CA hike from here. The initial logistics were easier, I had local support, I was familiar with the trail starting out and had trained in the climate I started hiking in. You also don't run the chance of losing your gear in transit. I met two hikers who had to deal with that when they arrived in San Diego. I'm not trying to talk you out of a southbound hike just giving you some ideas to evaluate.

Snap