[pct-l] Music / I Pod

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 18 14:27:12 CST 2007

I carried a San Disk M250 2 GB the whole way in 2006.  At 64kb play back, there's room for 40 to 50 hours of music.  Also has FM radio and a voice record function.  If I cycled through in some kind of order, I didn't get back to the same tracks for 5 to 7 days.  I'd be surprised if there aren't larger memory units available.

  Uses a single AAA battery.  Regular alkalines lasted between 12 and 16 hours.  Lithiums - ???  It's perhaps 2 to 3 ounces including the battery.

  If you need more battery time, bring some spares.  AAA's are cheap and super light and do double duty as spares for your head lamp (assuming it's AAA).

  I watched the I Pod crowd either have to futz with the solio chargers (spotty reliability - I knew one person who had several fail on them, another had one work just fine the whole way) or live with the pathetic 8 to 12 hours of battery time between town stops.

  My 2 cents, YMMV, yadda, yadda, yadda........

  TC