[pct-l] water purification

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Sun Dec 16 18:11:01 CST 2007

Hi Last Cookie,

I'm pretty picky about water that I don't filter.  That said, most of
the time when I do carry a filter, I end up not using it because the
North Cascades have such abundant water sources.

My criteria are that it must be free flowing (I don't drink unfiltered
water from lakes or tarns), it must be near the source (not far from
where it comes out of the ground or out of a snowfield or glacier), and
I'm relatively sure that humans don't camp near where the water is
coming from.

I've done this for more than 20 years in our back country (North
Cascades, meaning mountains between I-90 and the Canadian border) and
have never had a problem.

Greg