[pct-l] water purification

Piroska Balogh piros4 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 16 13:28:42 CST 2007

I've been backpacking for about 10 years and have hiked the Oregon PCT
2 years ago and Oregon and Washington last summer. I've used the
Sweetwater filter for years and have been pretty happy with it most of
the time. When it works, its easy to use and works really fast.
However, the prefilter can clog and is a pain to clean out. My last
one got harder and harder to use about halfway through Oregon this
last summer so I had another one mailed to me. I'm thinking about
switching to Aquamira next summer.

The one thing I really like about filters is how easy it is to fill my
Platypus hydration system. I just pull off the bitevalve and plug the
hydration hose onto the outport on the filter then pump away. I don't
have to pull my platypus out of my pack to do this. The other thing I
like is that its easy to pull water out of trickles without lots of
silt getting in my water.

I like the ease, minimal weight and volume, and no moving parts to
break of Aquamira but if I switch, I'll have to come up with some
other ways of filling up on water since the opening on a platypus is
so narrow. Or, maybe I'll switch to another type of water container. I
also think that I can get away with not purifying from every source.

For those of you who don't purify everything, how do you pick what to
purify? Do you purify from big lakes? Does anyone know what the rate
of diagnosed giardia/ cryptosporidium infection is on the PCT?

This is one of those fun topics that can be discussed forever. I like
hearing other people's opinions and experiences since it helps me
refine and rethink my own choices.

Last Cookie