[pct-l] NBs' and other lightweight shoes

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Dec 15 03:39:39 CST 2007

Gail,
I also am a Hi-Tec fan.
Vasque Sundowner is my boot of choice if I am hauling a 60-65 lb pack.
However, when I go light  Hi-Tec  ''Remote Mid'' (a light mid-cut
boot''  &  ''Vector'' (a low-cut hiking shoe) are my choice of hiking shoes.
I have tried  NB, Soucony, Turntec,Oasis, and various other running
shoes but they just did not give me the support and stability I seem to
have with Hi- Tec.

The things I like about Hi-Tec are as follows:
1. Reasonable price.
2. Wider than average foot box.
3. Soft & light enough to feel like running shoes but enough stiffness
and support for a hiking shoe.
4. Very high roll-over resistance....the first thing I always test in a
hiking shoe is it's roll-over resistance....if it rolls over easy I
don't want it.... it's easy enough to sprain a ankle on rocky trails
without wearing shoes that invite roll-over.

However, what works for my feet may or may not work for somebody else's
feet.

Of course the fact that Hi-Tec donated 3 sets of ''Vector'' for my JMT
record attempts also helped in my liking Hi-Tec.
Same with my ultra light ''Western Mountaineering'' sleeping bag.

I hate to spend big bucks on items I'm going to be rolling around in the
dirt with.
I do roll around in dirt a lot......dirt is good for you.

JMT Reinhold
Your cheepo dirt loving trail companion