[pct-l] Fwd: Water Purification

Will Hiltz will.hiltz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 12:37:09 CST 2007

Hi Jim-

I am going to be an outlying point here, but I treated water comme ca during
my 2007 thru hike:

1) Campo to KM I used a Katadyn Guide filter.  Worked fine, and I used it at
nearly every water source.  The guide is a bit heavy, so I certainly
wouldn't carry that again.  The filter that was really catching my eye was
called the "Amigo" (not sure of the company) which you hang on a tree and
use gravity to get the water through the filter (so no pumping).  I saw
several folks with this kind of filter and everyone was really happy with it
(its also fairly light).

2) KM to CA I used practically no water treatment.  Aside from maybe 3-5
times at really murky stops, I did not use any filtration or chemicals the
rest of the hike to Canada.  I found that a fair number of folks were
willing to drink straight from surface water sources in the Sierras, but
that number fell a fair bit past lake tahoe.  I lost my filter in the
vicinity of Sierra City and never bothered with any sort of replacement.  I
drank straight from surface water the rest of the way, including out of
multiple ponds and lakes throughout Oregon.  Obviously I wouldn't be telling
you about this in positive terms if it hadn't worked well for me-- I didn't
get any GI sickness, either during the trip or (so far) now that its over.
I DID get giardia as a kid, so that may have provided me with some immunity.

If I had it to do over, I would bring some chemicals for emergency/cow pie
situations and not mess with a filter at all.  I like the iodine crystals
(polar pure).  Hey, if your GI system can handle it....

Hope this helps,

Easy