[pct-l] Lost time, poor planning - is UL so great?

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 09:52:55 CST 2007

 By going light, I was able to have 10 days of food, an ice axe and all my gear be in at 41 lbs (according to the scale at Kennedy Meadows).

Those ten days in the Sierra (KM to VVR, with a side trip to Whitney) were perhaps the most intense and wonderful 10 days of my backpacking "career".

Using a similar strategy, I was able to ~8 days between Dubois and South Pass City on the CDT and really relish being in the Winds.

To me, going lightweight does not mean more frequent stops. It means by having less gear, larger food carries are vastly more comfortable and I do not see the need to go into
town as much.

Just another take on it.

YMMV.

--Thoreau