[pct-l] Hiking Oregon in June?

Piroska Balogh piros4 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 10 15:05:29 CST 2007

Hi,
The snow issue is going to be substantial heading through Oregon in
June. I started north from Ashland on July 5th last year and still ran
into snow in lots of spots even though it was a pretty low snow year.
It was manageable but reading the trail registers, there were a couple
of people ahead of me by a week or two and they really struggled. I
would be concerned with being slowed down alot by the snow and route
finding especially when the trail goes up high. There are blazes and
PCT markers but I don't remember them being close enough together to
be useful for snow navigation. Washington will still have snow into
July.

Other issues with an early start are the blowdowns that haven't been
cleared out yet. Spring melt can turn some stream crossings into
pretty formidable rivers especially early in the season. The bugs will
probably start getting fierce so take a headnet and lots of DEET. I
had my ipod nano with me that really gave me a respite from the
constant mosquito buzzing in my ears that was bothersome even with a
headnet.

I would recommend that you keep an eye on the snowmelt stats in the
spring, plan on lower miles, detour routes at lower elevation, and
bail out points if the going gets too tough. Start as late as you can.
Cell phone reception was pretty good in southern Oregon but petered
out north of the Sisters and never got consistently good again all the
way to Canada. If you are hiking alone, keep in mind that early in the
season, very few people are on the trail. Late season snowstorms can
also be a problem.

I don't want you to get scared by all this but you need to know what
potential issues you might face. You should just go for it and see
what happens but be safe doing it!
All the best,
Last Cookie