[pct-l] Question about food

Alden Dale alden at cedar-creek.com
Mon Dec 10 14:12:51 CST 2007

I agree with Donna. I started out this last summer, and I had to
force myself to eat even 1000-1500 calories per day. I just wasn't
hungry. But for me, about a week or two into it, I really started
picking up momentum, and after about a month I was taking about 5,000
per day, doing 30's.

Just be flexible. Thats the beauty to buying most of your food along
the way instead of doing mail drops. You'll find how much you eat and
what you like to eat.

This last summer I found I love tortillas. I normally hate them, but
for some reason when I'm hiking I found they're awesome, and I
started downing up to 8 a day.

Also, I found in the colder weather, my calorie intake rose a lot. I
had some 30° days through the sierras, and the nights were down to
15° ish. During those times, I found I was eating about a third again
as much (and much more at night, I was waking up four or five times a
night to eat.)

So- be flexible. You'll learn pretty quickly how much you need. The
time until the first couple resupplies won't be too bad though-
almost everyone (that I've talked to, including myself) overpacks for
the first leg.

Good Luck

alden