[pct-l] No-see-ums on PCT?

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sun Dec 9 15:47:34 CST 2007

Good afternoon, Eric,

Theoretically no-see-um's can be found world-wide, but I don't believe I've never encountered them in the mountain west.  There are a few small, biting flies sometimes locally called no-see-um's, but they aren't the real, teeny-tiny, thing.  It doesn't take much to stop a mosquito ....  I've used cheese-cloth.  Most of the bug-barrier products use the "no-see-um" netting just to provide a product that can be sold everywhere.  I've hiked with a no-see-um headnet, but I don't like to do so because of the poor ventilation.  Mostly, I used it while sleeping the first few hours of a night.  Even then, the limited ventilation makes breathing somewhat labored.

This year was a great year on the PCT for  mosquitoes; meaning, the lack thereof.  The first mosquitoes I reported in my Journal was on the entry for 29 May at Death Canyon Creek, 729.8 miles, and only a few times later did I encounter even that many.   http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

I certainly don't wish for continued drought conditions in California, but it sure makes for mosquito-free hiking.

Enjoy,

Steel-Eye